Email marketing remains powerful when done correctly. It is a well-known fact that every $1 spent on email marketing can bring in a return of around $44. That’s a convincing enough reason why you should use email as a tool in your marketing strategy. But to be successful there are some email marketing mistakes to avoid.
You want to use email marketing because you own your list. It doesn’t belong to some social media platform that may close your account. Email marketing is also cost-effective because you don’t have any advertising costs. With email, you can build relationships, deliver value to your audience, and drive traffic to other content.
Here are some tried and tested ways to improve your efficiency and profits and help you avoid some email marketing mistakes.
It is a well-known fact that every $1 spent on email marketing can bring in a return of around $44. That’s a convincing enough reason why you should use email as a tool in your marketing strategy.
1. Have Clarity On Your Email Marketing Goals
For success, everything in life, business, or marketing begins with a goal. Email marketing is no different. Set realistic and achievable goals that you can measure and avoid some email marketing mistakes in the process.
Here are some goals for your email marketing to consider.
Welcoming New Customers
Someone doesn’t need to buy from you to be acknowledged. Reach out and welcome everybody to show you care about them. Tell them a bit about your business and what to expect from you.
Nurture Existing Clients
Don’t neglect old friends. Send them content that they will value and find helpful. You may also show your appreciation for loyal customers by offering them deals or gifts.
You can promote your other content with links in your emails, or promote products and special events. You can ask them for suggestions. The more you engage, the higher the level of interest and conversions.
Re-Engaging Previous Subscribers
It is natural for people to drop off and there may be many reasons for this. Use email to re-engage and pique their interest again. Maybe they just need a little nudge.
- Reach out and welcome everybody to show you care about them.
- Nurture your existing customers. Think of ways to show your appreciation for their loyal support.
- Boost engagement with customers via email. The more you engage, the higher the level of interest and conversions.
- Use email to re-engage subscribers who are no longer active for whatever reason.
2. Understand The Types Of Email
So, you decided to use email as part of your marketing campaign. But do you know all the types of emails that you can use as part of your strategy? Use correctly you may avoid some of the email marketing mistakes people make. There are three basic categories of emails you can use to promote your business.
Most of us are already aware of this type of email. In these emails, you talk about special offers, sales, and other promotional content. The idea behind this type of content is to get the reader interested in what you have to offer. You explain your offers and how it can help them solve a problem they are stuck on.
In this type of email, you give subscribers what they have subscribed for. This could be a newsletter, gift, or any information that’s relevant to your audience. It is important to provide them with value and is useful to your subscriber.
This type of email usually consists of welcome messages, acknowledgments, order confirmations, and sign up confirmations. Transactional emails provide the subscriber with information about their purchase. Usually, the actions of the subscriber trigger the sending of a transactional email. In other words, a transactional email is your business’s reaction to the subscriber’s action.
- The idea behind promotional emails is to get the reader interested in what you have to offer.
- The most crucial element in relational emails is you must provide your audience with value.
- Transactional emails usually consist of welcome messages, acknowledgments, order confirmations, and sign up confirmations.
3. Know Your Audience
It is important to know your audience. They are the people who are receiving your emails and going to be the perfect customer to buy your offers.
You may think about demographics, such as age, gender, occupation, location, hobbies, needs, and any other factor that will help you. The more helpful information will be a psychological picture of your ideal customer. What are they thinking and feeling concerning the products or services you provide? What are their pain and desires?
Don’t worry if it's not perfect. You’ll be collecting customer information all the time and refine the picture of your ideal customer. Use Google Analytics or Facebook Analytics to gather more information about your audience and their interest.
The better you understand your audience, the better your email content will be. You will connect better with your audience and be of greater service to them.
- You must have an idea of who your ideal audience is. You must be specific and describe your ideal customer in detail.
- An ideal customer profile helps you to get on target with your email marketing campaigns.
- The better you understand your audience, the better you will connect with them and be of greater service to them.
4. Using the Right Email Marketing Software
For a successful email marketing campaign, you must leverage your digital content using email marketing services. This will provide you with all the essential tools to reach out to a larger audience. Your valuable content will impact more people.
You should use an email marketing service provider that makes it easy for you to create and automate your email campaigns. Professional email marketing services such as ConvertKit have a range of features you can use to your advantage.
It must offer ways to segment your audience list to service the different interest groups on your list better. You also want in-depth analytics on the performance of your email marketing efforts.
- Email marketing services will provide you with all the essential tools to reach out to a larger audience and impact more people.
- Use an email service provider that makes it easy for you to create and automate your email campaigns.
5. Create Attractive Email Optin Forms
If you want more subscribers to your email list you need to create attractive optin forms. The form must grab the audience’s attention and encourage them to sign-up. Keep experimenting with different types of optin forms to discover which works best with your audience.
These appear when the visitor first arrives on your site. Using this feature will help the visitors go directly to the most valuable content on your site. It may increase the likelihood of a visitor subscribing to your list.
The beauty of using lightbox popups is that they can be set to appear on any page of your site. You can set it to block out the rest of the content on the page to focus the visitor’s attention on the information in the popup. It may turn out to be particularly effective in converting visitors to subscribers.
As the name implies, an exit-intent popup appears on the page when the visitor is about to leave. If you want to use email marketing as part of your marketing strategy use exit-intent popups. They are an opportune moment to offer lead magnets to the visitor in exchange for an email address to engage in building a relationship.
- Welcome gates appear when the visitor first arrives on your site and help them find the most valuable content.
- Lightbox popups have been particularly effective in converting visitors to subscribers.
- Exit-Intent popups are great for offering lead magnets in exchange for an email address to engage in building a relationship.
6. Plan Your Emails and Follow-Ups
You’ve already learned a lot about the email marketing mistakes to avoid. You know your goal and understand your customer. You have an understanding of email types, got a great email service provider, and optin forms. The next mistake to avoid is not having a plan to create relevant, interesting, and valuable content for your audience.
It is important not to overwhelm your subscribers by flooding their inbox, especially not with promotional emails. It may only annoy them, or worse, will send your emails straight to their spam folder. Be strategic about your email marketing. Decide on a schedule, communicate it to them, and keep to it.
Instead of guessing what content is right to send to your subscribers, just ask them for their input. You can use polls or surveys to engage them in the planning.
- You must have a plan to create relevant, interesting, and valuable content for your audience.
- Decide on a schedule, communicate it to your subscribers, and keep to it.
- Don't overwhelm your subscribers by flooding their inbox, especially not with promotional emails.
7. Compelling Email Subject Line And Copy
Creating a compelling subject line for your emails is a skill that only grows with experience. Like the headline of your blog post, you must have an interesting subject line if you want to have a good open rate. There is also no need to try to be clever or witty or use clickbait. Just tell people what they’ll get when they open it. The ideal subject line seems to be between the range of 40 to 50 characters.
When it comes to the copy of your emails, it's crucial to create the hook right at the start to grab attention. It must create enough interest to read the rest of your email. In your promotional emails, don't start pitching too early. You don't want to come across as pushy. Make sure your call to action (CTA) is clear and visible. Provide value to your readers with information or the resource you’re promoting and how this will help them.
- You must have an interesting subject line if you want to have a good open rate.
- It's crucial to create the hook right at the start to grab attention.
- Make sure your call to action (CTA) is clear and visible.
8. Test and Tweak
To have a successful email marketing campaign you will need to test everything. To test you need data. So, make it a priority to collect data on your email campaigns so you can improve.
Test the design of the email, the layout, keywords, subject line, copy, and CTA.
Keep an eye on the email analytics of your email service provider. Look for crucial information on the number of subscribers, clicks, forwards, and unsubscribes. These are all valuable information to figure out what’s working and what’s not.
It cost you money to have people on your email list. Clean your list regularly. Try to re-engage inactive subscribers and remove them if they don’t engage. It’s far better for your open and click-through rates to have fewer active subscribers than large numbers of inactive ones.
- Make it a priority to collect data on your email campaigns so you can improve.
- Test the design of the email, the layout, keywords, subject line, copy, and CTA.
- Clean your list regularly. It’s far better for your open and click-through rates to have fewer active subscribers than large numbers of inactive ones.
I’ve given you some helpful tips on using email marketing as a strategy to boost your business profits. Irrespective of what people may say, email marketing remains one of the best strategies with the highest ROI in business.
Do you want to learn more about effective email copywriting?
In our learn-on-demand course Email Copywriting Made Easy you'll bring your email marketing to the next level.
Perhaps you are struggling with email marketing and are frustrated with the results you get. You want your readers to open your emails, read them all the way through, and then take action.
This course shows you best practices in email copywriting to skyrocket engagement and sales.
Head over to our course to learn more about the course and then decide if you want to sign up.
Do you already use autoresponder email series and what mistakes have you made? Please share your tips and tricks in the comments.
I know most people don’t share because they feel that we bloggers don’t need their "tiny" social share.
But here's the truth...
I built this blog bit by bit and with one small share at a time, and will continue to do so.
So, from my heart to yours, thank you so much for your continued support.
A share from you would help a lot with the growth of this blog and its message and help out someone who may need it.
Some great suggestions:.
- Pin it!
- Share it to your favorite blog & business Facebook group
- Tweet it!
It won't take more than 10 seconds of your time.
The share buttons are right here. 🙂
Thank you so much!
Join Simply Workable Business Community, my free Facebook page to grow your online business with hundreds of other entrepreneurs.
If you enjoyed this post, get updates from me (it's FREE).
You're awesome for staying till the end.
Signup for my Free report below.
I send email updates about new posts, and tips and tricks to build & monetize your online business.